The Federal Trade Commission employees are trying to get information and facts on the organization methods of cloud computing companies together with challenges linked to the current market power of these organizations, influence on opposition, and opportunity security dangers.
In a Ask for for Details, FTC team are looking for information and facts about the aggressive dynamics of cloud computing, the extent to which specific segments of the economic system are reliant on cloud services suppliers, and the protection challenges involved with the industry’s organization tactics. In addition to the opportunity effect on level of competition and information security, FTC personnel are also interested in the impression of cloud computing on specific industries such as health care, finance, transportation, e-commerce, and protection.
“Large components of the financial state now depend on cloud computing services for a variety of solutions,” stated Stephanie T. Nguyen, the FTC’s Chief Technological innovation Officer. “The RFI is aimed at far better understanding the impression of this reliance, the broader competitive dynamics in cloud computing, and potential security dangers in the use of cloud.”
Cloud computing, which is applied by a vast array of industries for on-desire access to data storage, servers, networks, and far more, is increasingly central to many regions of the overall economy. The agency has introduced various cases towards businesses that failed to put into action essential stability safeguards to shield facts they saved on third-celebration cloud computing services including new scenarios involving the alcoholic beverages shipping platform Drizly and training technological know-how company Chegg. The FTC has also issued advice to organizations on techniques they can consider to safe and shield knowledge saved in the cloud. The RFI will make it possible for the agency to acquire extra details and insights on cloud computing as a total.
Amid the subjects the FTC is trying to get remark on contain:
- the extent to which individual segments of the economy are reliant on a little handful of cloud services providers
- the means of cloud buyers to negotiate their contracts with cloud suppliers or are dealing with get-it-or-leave it regular contracts
- incentives companies supply buyers to get hold of additional of their cloud solutions from a solitary company
- the extent to which cloud vendors contend on their capability to present safe storage for purchaser facts
- the kinds of solutions or providers cloud suppliers present based on, dependent on, or linked to artificial intelligence and the extent to which those people items or expert services are proprietary or company agnostic and
- the extent to which cloud companies recognize and notify their consumers of safety challenges linked to stability design, implementation, or configuration.
The community will have right up until May well 22, 2023 to submit a remark. Feedback will be posted to Polices.gov right after they are submitted.
Staff members from across the FTC’s Business of Engineering, Bureau of Competition, and Bureau of Client Security are collaborating on this hard work.